Excerpts from David Kranz's message of 2013-11-11 09:58:59 -0800:
> I have seen a wide variety of -1'ing (and in many cases approving)
> patches for minor spelling or grammatical errors and think we need a
> policy about this. Given the large number of contributors for whom
> English is not their native language, I would be in favor of rejecting
> spelling errors in variable or method names but being more lenient in
> comments, commit messages, READMEs, etc. What do you all think?

The point of code review is to find defects. Misspelled words are defects
in the English language encoded in the change. In fact, commit messages
in particular are critical to get right as they cannot ever be fixed,
and they are generally the most useful when under a stressful situation
trying to determine the nature of a regression.

Many of our contributors are also newbies to python, and we do not let
them get away with obvious mistakes in python code. English is just a
language with a different interpreter (a more forgiving one, for sure,
but also one with many versions at various stages of implementation).

In fact, our large percentage of non-native english speakers is a reason
to be extremely careful about grammar and spelling so as not to confuse
non-native speakers with incorrect grammar and spelling.

I believe that if a -1 for a spelling mistake is causing more than an
extremely short turn around time then either the submitter is not engaged
with the project and thus not responsive to the -1, or the reviewers
are over-taxed and the given project needs more reviewers.