Excerpts from Kodam, Vijayakumar (EXT-Tata Consultancy Ser - FI/Espoo)'s
message of 2013-11-12 09:25:19 -0800:
> Hi,
>
> In Telecom Cloud applications, the requirements for every application are
> different. One application might need 10 CPUs, 10GB RAM and no disk. Another
> application might need 1 CPU, 512MB RAM and 100GB Disk. This varied
> requirements directly affects the flavors which need to be created for
> different applications (virtual instances). Customer has his own custom
> requirements for CPU, RAM and other hardware requirements. So, based on the
> requests from the customers, we believe that the flavor creation should be
> done along with the instance creation, just before the instance is created.
> Most of the flavors will be specific to that application and therefore will
> not be suitable by other instances.
>
> The obvious way is to allow users to create flavors and boot customized
> instances through Heat. As of now, users can launch instances through heat
> along with predefined nova flavors only. We have made some changes in our
> setup and tested it. This change allows creation of customized nova flavors
> using heat templates. We are also using extra-specs in the flavors for use in
> our private cloud deployment.
> This gives an option to the user to mention custom requirements for the
> flavor in the heat template directly along with the instance details. There
> is one problem in the nova flavor creation using heat templates. Admin
> privileges are required to create nova flavors. There should be a way to
> allow a normal user to create flavors.
>
> Your comments and suggestions are most welcome on how to handle this problem
> !!!

Seems like you just need to setup your Nova policy to allow a role to do
flavor creation:

"compute_extension:flavormanage": "rule:admin_api",
"compute_extension:v3:flavor-manage": "rule:admin_api",

And then enhance Heat to make those API calls.