Georgy Okrokvertskhov <gokrokvertsk...@mirantis.com> wrote on 12.11.2013
21:27:13:
> From: Georgy Okrokvertskhov <gokrokvertsk...@mirantis.com>
> <openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>,
> Date: 12.11.2013 21:29
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration
> refined after design summit discussions
>
> Hi,
>
> I agree with Clint that component placement specified inside
> component configuration is not a right thing. I remember that mostly
> everyone agreed that "hosted_on" should not be in HOT templates.
> When one specify placement explicitly inside  a component definition
> it prevents the following:
> 1. Reusability - you can't reuse component without creating its
> definition copy with another placement parameter.

See my reply to Clint's mail. The deployment location in form of the
"server" reference is _not_ hardcoded in the component definition. All we
do is to provide a pointer to the server where a software shall be deployed
at deploy time. You can use a component definition in many place, and in
each place where you use it you provide it a pointer to the target server.

> 2. Composability - it will be no clear way to express composable
> configurations. There was a clear way in a template showed during
> design session where server had a list of components to be placed.

I think we have full composability with the "deployment" resources that
mark uses of software component definitions.

> 3. Deployment order - some components should be placed in strict
> order and it will be much easier just make an ordered list of
> components then express artificial dependencies between them just
> for ordering.

With the "deployment" resources and Heat's normal way of handling
dependencies between any resources, we should be able have proper ordering.
I agree that strict ordering is probably the most easy way of doing it, but
we have implementations that do deployment in a more flexible manner
without any problems.