On 13.11.2013 20:20, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Friesen [mailto:chris.frie...@windriver.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:57 AM
To: openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Core pinning

On 11/13/2013 11:40 AM, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

But, from performance point of view it is better to exclusively
dedicate PCPUs for VCPUs and emulator. In some cases you may want
to guarantee that only one instance(and its VCPUs) is using certain
PCPUs.  By using core pinning you can optimize instance performance
based on e.g. cache sharing, NUMA topology, interrupt handling, pci
pass through(SR-IOV) in multi socket hosts etc.
My 2 cents. When you talking about " performance point of view", are
you talking about guest performance, or overall performance? Pin PCPU
is sure to benefit guest performance, but possibly not for overall
performance, especially if the vCPU is not consume 100% of the CPU
resources.
It can actually be both.  If a guest has several virtual cores that both
access the same memory, it can be highly beneficial all around if all
the memory/cpus for that guest come from a single NUMA node on the
host.
   That way you reduce the cross-NUMA-node memory traffic, increasing
overall efficiency.  Alternately, if a guest has several cores that use
lots of memory bandwidth but don't access the same data, you might want
to ensure that the cores are on different NUMA nodes to equalize
utilization of the different NUMA nodes.
I think the Tuomas is talking about " exclusively dedicate PCPUs for VCPUs", in
that situation, that pCPU can't be shared by other vCPU anymore. If this vCPU like cost
only 50% of the PCPU usage, it's sure to be a waste of the overall performance.

As to the cross NUMA node access, I'd let hypervisor, instead of cloud OS, to
reduce the cross NUMA access as much as possible.

I'm not against such usage, it's sure to be used on data center virtualization.
Just question if it's for cloud.

Similarly, once you start talking about doing SR-IOV networking I/O
passthrough into a guest (for SDN/NFV stuff) for optimum efficiency it
is beneficial to be able to steer interrupts on the physical host to the
specific cpus on which the guest will be running.  This implies some
form of pinning.
Still, I think hypervisor should achieve this, instead of openstack.

I think pin CPU is common to data center virtualization, but not sure
if it's in scope of cloud, which provide computing power, not
hardware resources.

And I think part of your purpose can be achieved through
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CPUEntitlement and
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/InstanceResourceQuota . Especially I
hope a well implemented hypervisor will avoid needless vcpu migration
if the vcpu is very busy and required most of the pCPU's computing
capability (I knew Xen used to have some issue in the scheduler to
cause frequent vCPU migration long before).
I'm not sure the above stuff can be done with those.  It's not just
about quantity of resources, but also about which specific resources
will be used so that other things can be done based on that knowledge.
With the above stuff, it ensure the QoS and the compute capability for the
guest, I think.

--jyh
Chris

Hi,

thank you for your comments. I am talking about quest performance. We are using openstack for managing Telco cloud applications where quest performance optimization is needed. That example where pcpus are dedicated exclusively for vcpus is not a problem. It can be implemented by using scheduling filters and if you need that feature you can take the filter in use. Without it, pcpus are shared in normal way.

As Chris said, core pinning e.g. depending on NUMA topology is beneficial and I think its beneficial with or without exclusive dedication of pcpu.

Regards,
Tuomas