On Nov 14, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Zane Bitter <zbit...@redhat.com>
 wrote:

> On 14/11/13 18:51, Randall Burt wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Christopher Armstrong
>> <chris.armstr...@rackspace.com <mailto:chris.armstr...@rackspace.com>>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Randall Burt
>>> <randall.b...@rackspace.com <mailto:randall.b...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
>>>    Regarding web hook execution and cool down, I think the response
>>>    should be something like 307 if the hook is on cool down with an
>>>    appropriate retry-after header.
>
> I strongly disagree with this even ignoring the security issue mentioned
> below. Being in the cooldown period is NOT an error, and the caller should
> absolutely NOT try again later - the request has been received and correctly
> acted upon (by doing nothing).

But how do I know nothing was done? I may have very good reasons to re-scale
outside of ceilometer or other mechanisms and absolutely SHOULD try again
later.  As it stands, I have no way of knowing that my scaling action didn't
happen without examining my physical resources. 307 is a legitimate response in
these cases, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.