On 11/14/2013 11:52 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> This may be a silly question, but what is the best way to filter out
> stackforge and related projects? Should I make a local filter and
> whitelist all integrated projects?

Not a silly question at all, quite the opposite. One way to filter
traffic is to use mailman topics, another way is to filter on your
delivery endpoint (MTA or smtp) with rules based on Subject.

For mailman topics you need to login in your mailman account and set the

http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/openstack-dev

Look for the line titled:

   Which topic categories would you like to subscribe to?

  By selecting one or more topics, you can filter the traffic on the
  mailing list, so as to receive only a subset of the messages. If a
  message matches one of your selected topics, then you will get the
  message, otherwise you will not.

  If a message does not match any topic, the delivery rule depends on
  the setting of the option below. If you do not select any topics of
  interest, you will get all the messages sent to the mailing list.

and below there is:

   Do you want to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?

  This option only takes effect if you've subscribed to at least one
  topic above. It describes what the default delivery rule is for
  messages that don't match any topic filter. Selecting No says that if
  the message does not match any topic filters, then you won't get the
  message, while selecting Yes says to deliver such non-matching
  messages to you.

Alternatively you can just setup a few filters on your MTA or smtp
server to discard messages with subject lines that contain, for example,
[Solum] if you're not interested in receiving them.

Far from perfect, but in the end nothing is :)

> +1, to being stricter about this.  Did you just volunteer to be the off
> topic czar?

I will do that but we all need to be strict in non engaging in off topic
discussions. We all want to help newcomers but we help them more if we
teach them also how to engage with the community, letting them know the
best ways to find help.

/stef