On Nov 25, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Salvatore Orlando <sorla...@nicira.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been recently debugging some issues I've had with the OVS agent, and I
> found out that in many  cases (possibly every case) the code just logs errors
> from ovs-vsctl and ovs-ofctl without taking any action in the control flow.
>
> For instance, the routine which should do the wiring for a port, port_bound
> [1], does not react in any way if it fails to configure the local vlan, which
> I guess means the port would not be able to send/receive any data.
>
> I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for this which I'm missing at the
> moment. I am asking because I see a pretty large number of ALARM_CLOCK errors
> returned by OVS commands in gate logs (see bug [2]), and I'm not sure whether
> it's ok to handle them as the OVS agent is doing nowadays.

Thanks for bringing this up Salvatore. It looks like the underlying run_vstcl
[1] provides an ability to raise exceptions on errors, but this is not used by
most of the callers of run_vsctl. Do you think we should be returning the
exceptions back up the stack to callers to handle? I think that may be a good
first step.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1]