On 02/01/2017 10:22 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:

I personally continue to be of the opinion that without an explicit
vocal and well-staffed champion, supporting postgres is more trouble
than it is worth. The vast majority of OpenStack deployments are on
MySQL - and what's more, the code is written with MySQL in mind.
Postgres and MySQL have different trade offs, different things each are
good at and different places in which each has weakness. By attempting
to support Postgres AND MySQL, we prevent ourselves from focusing
adequate attention on making sure that our support for one of them is
top-notch and in keeping with best practices for that database.

So let me state my opinion slightly differently. I think we should
support one and only one RDBMS backend for OpenStack, and we should open
ourselves up to use advanced techniques for that backend. I don't
actually care whether that DB is MySQL or Postgres - but the corpus of
existing deployments on MySQL and the existing gate jobs I think make
the choice one way or the other simple.

well, let me blow your mind and agree, but noting that this means, *we drop SQLite also*. IMO every openstack developer should have MySQL/MariaDB running on their machine and that is part of what runs if you expect to run database-related unit tests. Targeting just one database is very handy but if you really want to use the features without roadblocks, you need to go all the way.

I agree that ceilometer should not be providing Postgres testing for the
rest of OpenStack.

Monty