Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-02-10 11:07:29 -0800:
> Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> > I'd say kube-dns and designate are very different technologies.
> >
> > kube-dns is a service discovery mechanism for kubernetes intend to provide
> > internal k8s resolution. The fact it uses dns to implement service
> > discovery is kind of an implementation detail, not its primary purpose.
> > There's no need for private dns management, scaling past the size of the
> > k8s cluster itself, etc. A much easier problem to solve at the moment.
> >
> > Designate really is a multitenant dns as a service implementation. While it
> > can be used for service discovery, its not its primary purpose.
> >
> > I see no reason they couldn't share some common pieces, but care should be
> > given not to just say, lets throw out one for the other, as they really are
> > different animals.
> >

> Arg, the idea wasn't meant to be that (abandon one for the other), but
> just to investigate the larger world and maybe we have to adapt our
> model of `multitenant dns as a service implementation` to be slightly
> different; so what..., if it means we get to keep contributors and grow
> a larger community (and partner with others and learn new things and
> adopt new strategies/designs and push the limits of tech and ...) by
> doing so then that's IMHO good.

Perhaps Designate could go looking for a larger community outside of
OpenStack. One of the problems with tightly integrating in the OpenStack
paradigm is that we only see our way of thinking. For instance, we have
a access to a user base without trying since OpenStack users will always
look for an OpenStack project first. But there may very well be users
out there who do have multi-tenant DNS needs, but they don't want
Keystone et.al.

With a few tweaks, any service provider that doesn't have a good DNSaaS
but needs one, multi or single tenant, could have Designate, and that
would invite quite a bit more contribution.

I have no idea what the potential community size is, but it sounds like
"not 0", and given that it sounds like Designate just needs a couple
more active developers, so perhaps it's worth socializing externally.