On 13 Feb 2017, at 20:17, Mahati C wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> An update on the Outreachy program, including a request for volunteer
> mentors and funding. For those of you who are not aware, Outreachy helps
> people from underrepresented groups get involved in free and open source
> software  by matching interns with established mentors in the upstream
> community. For more info, please visit:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy
>
> We so far have a confirmation for three spots for OpenStack in this round
> of Outreachy. But we are receiving more applicants who are interested in
> contributing to different OpenStack projects. Interested mentors - please
> publish your project ideas to this page
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Internship_ideas. Here is a link that helps
> you get acquainted with mentorship process:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors
>
> We are looking for additional sponsors to help support the increase in
> OpenStack applicants. The sponsorship cost is 6,500 USD per intern, which
> is used to provide them a stipend for the three-month program. You can
> learn more about sponsorship here:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action
>
> Outreachy has been one of the most important and effective diversity
> efforts we’ve invested in. It has evidently been a way to retain new
> contributors, we’ve had some amazing participants become long-term
> contributors to our community.
>
> Please help spread the word. If you are interested in becoming a mentor or
> sponsoring an intern, please contact me (mahati.chamarthy AT intel.com) or
> Victoria (victoria AT redhat.com).
>
> Thanks,
> Mahati

As someone who's participated as a mentor more than once, I'd definitely
encourage anyone involved in upstream OpenStack work to consider doing this.
You don't have to have any "special" qualifications! You're fine just the way
you are! All that's needed is a willingness to want to see others succeed. If
you already help other people in the community out by giving good reviews and
answering questions in IRC, you're already doing 90% of what's needed to be an
Outreachy mentor. In my experience, it's also good to spend 1-3 hours a week as
"office hours" or on a short video chat with the mentee, but that's it. The
extra commitment is not burdensome. Overall, it's a rewarding experience for
everyone. Please consider being a mentor.

--John