On 29 November 2013 09:44, Gary Kotton <gkot...@vmware.com> wrote:

> The first stage is technical - move Nova scheduling code from A to be.
> What do we achieve - not much - we actually complicate things - there is
> always churn in Nova and we will have duplicate code bases. In addition to
> this the only service that can actually make use of they is Nova
>
> The second stage is defining an API that other modules can use (we have
> yet to decide if this will be RPC based or have a interface like Glance,
> Cinder etc.)
> We have yet to even talk about the API's.
> The third stage is adding shiny new features and trying to not have a
> community tar and feather us.

Yup; I look forward to our tar and feathering overlords. :)

> Prior to copying code we really need to discuss the API's.

I don't think we do: it's clear that we need to come up with them -
it's necessary, and noone has expressed any doubt about the ability to
do that. RPC API evolution is fairly well understood - we add a new
method, and have it do the necessary, then we go to the users and get
them using it, then we delete the old one.

> This can even
> be done in parallel if your concern is time and resources. But the point
> is we need a API to interface with the service. For a start we can just
> address the Nova use case. We need to at least address:
> 1. Scheduling interface
> 2. Statistics updates
> 3. API's for configuring the scheduling policies
>
> Later these will all need to bode well with all of the existing modules
> that we want to support - Nova, Cinder and Neutron (if I missed on then
> feel free to kick me whilst I am down)

Ironic perhaps.

> I do not think that we should focus on failure modes, we should plan it
> and break it up so that it will be usable and functional and most
> importantly useful in the near future.
>
> How about next week we sit together and draw up a wiki of the flows, data
> structures and interfaces. Lets go from there.

While I disagree about us needing to do it right now, I'm very happy
to spend some time on it - I don't want to stop folk doing work that
needs to be done!

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcoll...@hp.com>