On 03/01/2017 08:15 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
Greetings ironicers,

I'd like to discuss the state of the gates in ironic and other related projects
for stable/mitaka branch.

Hi!

Thanks for raising this. I need to apologize, I haven't been doing great job as a stable liaison recently. I'll try to fix stuff in the coming days.

Today while making some test patches to old branches I discovered the following
problems:

python-ironicclient/stable/mitaka
All unit-test-like jobs are broken due to not handling upper constraints.
Because of it a newer than actually supported python-openstackclient is
installed, which already lacks some modules python-ironicclient tries to import
(these were moved to osc-lib).
I've proposed a patch that copies current way of dealing with upper constraints
in tox envs [0], gates are passing.

Thanks, I've just approved this patch.

ironic/stable/mitaka
While not actually being gated on, using virtualbmc+ipmitool drivers is broken.

This was not a supported combination back then, so I'm not sure it's good time to start right now.

The reason is again related to upper constraints as what happens is old enough
version of pyghmi (from mitaka upper constraints) is installed with most recent
virtualbmc (not in upper constraints), and those versions are incompatible.
This highlights a question whether we should propose virtualbmc to upper
constraints too to avoid such problems in the future.
Meanwhile a quick fix would be to hard-code the supported virtualbmc version in
the ironic's devstack plugin for mitaka release.
Although not strictly supported for Mitaka release, I'd like that functionality
to be working on stable/mitaka gates to test for upcoming removal of *_ssh
drivers.

There were important changes of pyghmi that made virtualbmc possible at all. I don't think any versions can work with old pyghmi.

I'm not sure why removing of *_ssh drivers from master should necessary break stable/mitaka, where these drivers are present. Could you elaborate?

I did not test other projects yet.

With all the above, the question is should we really fix the gates for the
mitaka branch now? According to OpenStack release page [1] the Mitaka release
will reach end-of-life on April 10, 2017.

I'd prefer we fix them, I'll look into the problems raised in this thread.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439742/
[1] https://releases.openstack.org/#release-series

Cheers,
Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy