On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriede...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm wondering at what point instances stored in searchlight will be
> removed. Maybe there is already an answer to this and the searchlight team
> can just inform me. Otherwise we might need to think about data retention
> policies and how long a deleted instances will be stored in searchlight
> before it's removed. Again, I'm not sure if nova would control this or if
> it's something searchlight supports already.

Hi,

Currently Searchlight doesn't capture soft delete notifications and simply
remove instance from ES if real delete notification comes. If these two
kind of notifications can be distinguished we could fix this issue by
marking the document in the ES instead of removing it. And we also need to
capture some extra notifications like restore(suppose it exists) .

About data retention policies, I'm not sure if something like ttl to define
how long a deleted instance should be stored in searchlight is enough. I
know Nova has cli to purge the database about deleted instances, if there
are no notification emitted for these operations, it's impossible for
searchlight to know when these delete instances are removed.