On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Thierry Carrez <thie...@openstack.org> wrote:
> Christopher Aedo wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Thierry Carrez <thie...@openstack.org> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> In parallel, Docker developed a pretty successful containerized
>>> application marketplace (the Docker Hub), with hundreds of thousands of
>>> regularly-updated apps. Keeping the App Catalog around (including its
>>> thinly-wrapped Docker container Murano packages) make us look like we
>>> are unsuccessfully trying to compete with that ecosystem, while
>>> OpenStack is in fact completely complementary.
>>
>> Without something like Murano "thinly wrapping" docker apps, how would
>> you propose current users of OpenStack clouds deploy docker apps?  Or
>> any other app for that matter?  It seems a little unfair to talk about
>> murano apps this way when no reasonable alternative exists for easily
>> deploying docker apps.  When I look back at the recent history of how
>> we've handled containers (nova-docker, magnum, kubernetes, etc) it
>> does not seem like we're making it easy for the folks who want to
>> deploy a container on their cloud...
>
> I'd say there are two approaches: you can use the container-native
> approach ("docker run" after provisioning some container-enabled host
> using Nova or K8s cluster using Magnum), or you can use the
> OpenStack-native approach (zun create nginx) and have it
> auto-provisioned for you. Those projects have a narrower scope, and
> fully co-opt the container ecosystem without making us appear as trying
> to build our own competitive application packaging/delivery/marketplace
> mechanism.
>
> I just think that adding the Murano abstraction in the middle of it and
> using an AppCatalog-provided Murano-powered generic Docker container
> wrapper is introducing unnecessary options and complexity -- options
> that are strategically hurting us when we talk to those adjacent
> communities...

OK thank you for making it clearer, now I understand where you're
coming from.  I do agree with this sentiment.  I don't have any
experience with zun but it sounds like it's the least-cost way to
deploy a docker at for the environments where it's installed.

I think overall the app catalog was an interesting experiment, but I
don't think it makes sense to continue as-is.  Unless someone comes up
with a compelling new direction, I don't see much point in keeping it
running.  Especially since it sounds like Mirantis is on board (and
the connection to a murano ecosystem was the only thing I saw that
might be interesting).

-Christopher