On 03/17/2017 03:46 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> (undercloud) [stack@undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/dib-run-parts
> dib-utils-0.0.11-1.el7.noarch
> (undercloud) [stack@undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf /bin/dib-run-parts
> dib-utils-0.0.11-1.el7.noarch

/bin is a link to /usr/bin?  So I think this is the same and this is
the dib-run-parts as pacakged by dib-utils.

> (undercloud) [stack@undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf
> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/diskimage_builder/lib/dib-run-parts
> diskimage-builder-2.0.1-0.20170314023517.756923c.el7.centos.noarch

This is dib's "private" copy.  As I mentioned in the other mail, the
intention was to vendor this so we could re-write for dib-specific
needs if need be (given future requirements such as running in
restricted container environments).  I believe having dib exporting
this was an (my) oversight.  I have proposed [1] to remove this.

> (undercloud) [stack@undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/local/bin/dib-run-parts
> file /usr/local/bin/dib-run-parts is not owned by any package

This would come from the image build process.  We copy dib-run-parts
into the chroot to run in-target scripts [2] but we never actually
remove it.  This seems to me to also be a bug and I've proposed [3] to
run this out of /tmp and clean it up.

> But the exciting thing from a rolling-out-bugfixes perspective is that the
> one actually running via o-r-c isn't either of the packaged versions (doh!)
> so we probably need to track down which element is installing it.
>
> This is a little OT for this thread (sorry), but hopefully provides more
> context around my concerns about creating another fork etc.

I don't want us to get a little too "left-pad" [4] with this 95ish
lines of shell :) I think this stack clears things up.

tl;dr

 - dib version should be vendored; not in path & not exported [1]
 - unnecessary /usr/local/bin version removed [3]
 - dib-utils provides /usr/bin/ version

Cross-ports between the vendored dib version and dib-utils should be
trivial given what it is.  If dib wants to rewrite it's vendored
version, or remove it completely, this will not affect anyone
depending on dib-utils.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/446285 (dib: do not provide dib-run-parts)