Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 3/21/2017 4:09 PM, Lance Bragstad wrote:
>> I have a couple questions in addition to Matt's.
>>
>> The keystone group is still trying to figure out what this means for us
>> and we discussed it in today's meeting [0]. Based on early feedback,
>> we're going to have less developer presence at the Forum than we did at
>> the PTG. Are these formal sessions intended to be the same format as
>> design session at previous summits?
>>
>> In the past when we've organized ourselves for summits design sessions,
>> we typically got an email saying "you have these rooms at these times".
>> From there we filter our topics into like categories and shuffle them
>> around until the schedule looks right.
>>
>> With the direction of the PTG, I'm not sure many developers were
>> expecting to have those types of technical discussions at the forum
>> (which could be why early developer attendance confirmation is lower).
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>> [0]
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/keystone/2017/keystone.2017-03-21-18.00.log.html#l-150
>
> We talked about this a bit in the nova channel today too.
>
> I'm approaching this like the cross-project days at the design summit in
> the past where we'd propose topics and the TC would vote on them and
> they'd get scheduled, and then the rest of the design summit was for
> vertical-team discussions where we say how many rooms we want and then
> we schedule our sessions ourselves in cheddar.
>
> For the Forum, I think we'll be submitting maybe three topics that I
> know of right now:
>
> * cells (mostly project-specific but involves operators)
> * placement (cross-project and operator involvement)
> * limits (whole-of-openstack and operators/users)
>
> Beyond those three, I don't plan on requesting any other nova-specific
> sessions (those aren't all nova-specific anyway).
>
> For any of the nova developers that will be there, which will be a much
> smaller number than previous summits because of the format and because
> we did the PTG, I assume we'll talk about Pike development status and
> priorities during the downtime we have between the actual scheduled
> sessions that involve more than just nova (so we'll talk about the nova
> stuff in the free room area in other words).

Right. The Summit main goal is to use that week to communicate *outside*
the team (with users, with prospective new contributors, learning new
things), rather than *within* the team. That obviously doesn't prevent
teams from regrouping, have discussions and dinner, and use common space
to hold ad-hoc meetings, but the scheduled space is more oriented
towards cross-community communications.

In terms of preparation, that means brainstorming what topics you would
like to discuss in the "forum" setting (with ops, with users, with the
community-at-large). And propose those topics to
forumtopics.openstack.org as explained by Emilien.

If you expect to have enough team members present, you can also
brainstorm which discussions you'd like to have with your team members
in ad-hoc meetings during that week. As explained in [1] we'll have
hacking space available, so you can certainly take advantage of having a
critical mass of team members around to look at your progress in Pike,
re-prioritize stuff or have any discussion you want to have.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113459.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)