On 3/27/2017 11:42 PM, Rui Chen wrote:
Thank you Matt, the background information is important. Seems all the
peoples don't know how the add-fixed-ip API works,
and there is no exact use case about it. Now neutron port-update API
also support to set multiple fixed ip for a port, and
the fixed-ip updating will sync to nova side automatically (I had
verified it in my latest devstack). Updating fixed-ip for
specified port is easier to understand for me in multiple nics case than
nova add-fixed-ip API.

So if others known the orignal API design or had used nova add/remove
fixed-ip API and would like to show your use cases,
it's nice for us to understand how the API works and when we should use
it, we can update the api-ref and add exact usage,
avoid users' confusion about it. Feel free to reply something, thank you.

If the functionality is available via Neutron APIs, we should just deprecate the multinic API like we did for the other network API proxies in microversion 2.36. This reminds me that Alex Xu had a blueprint for deprecating the multinic API [1] but it needs to be updated for Pike.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/384261/

Matt