On 4 April 2017 at 07:53, Saverio Proto <saverio.pr...@switch.ch> wrote:

> Hello Armando,
>
> I managed to implement the L2GW setup purely in software, without an
> hardware appliance.
>
> I documented in the README file, please look at this review
> https://review.openstack.org/453209

Nice job!

> I have a question: do we have a name for this node where the actually
> bridging happens between a VXLAN tenant network and a physical L2 network ?
> Is it okay to call it the l2gw agent ?

Historically this was called l2gw agent (node). You can find references in
[1,2]

> The l2gw plugin it self runs on the controller, so also the
> neutron-l2gw-plugin agent runs on the controller.
>
> I think it necessary to clarify this naming, because before trying the
> software I did the mistake of thinking that the neutron-l2gw-agent had
> to run on the switch where the actual briding happens.

The l2gw agent uses solely OVSDB to interact to the server and as such it
can run anywhere. In fact, in Arista's POC video [3] (credit to Sukhdev),
the demo setup shows this in more details.

Cheers,
Armando

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/networking-l2gw/blob/master/doc/source/images/L2GW_deployment.png