Sweet - so - each repo should have release and component (if I understand those right) - is there additional info that we should include?

Like - in the multi-file approach, it's a set of directories with files of the form:

release/component.json -> contains versions[]

And the single file, it's:

release/{release}.json -> contains services[] each with versions[]