Hey Don,

Deployment to Power8 and beyond via the agent-ipmitool driver should work fine. We test it regularly here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ThirdPartySystems/IBMPowerKVMCI

If you'd like some help setting up Ironic for power, feel free to ping me on #openstack-ironic. Also check out this blog that I worked on with a colleague for some advice:

https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2017/03/20/setting-openstack-bare-metal-service-power8/

Also a friendly reminder that this question is probably more suited for the OpenStack mailing list rather than openstack-dev.

Thanks,
mjturek