I am just issuing a reboot command on the compute node

Not a reboot –f

From: Mark Mielke <mark.mie...@gmail.com<mailto:mark.mie...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 8:42 PM
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>>,
Ajay Kalambur <akala...@cisco.com<mailto:akala...@cisco.com>>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Compute Node restart

On Apr 25, 2017 2:45 AM, "Ajay Kalambur (akalambu)"
<akala...@cisco.com<mailto:akala...@cisco.com>> wrote:
I see that when a host is gracefully rebooted nova-compute receives a lifecycle
event to shutdown the instance and it updates the database with the state set
to SHUTOFF.
Now when compute node reboot and libvirt brings the VM back up nova checks its
database and issues stop api and hence shuts down the VM

So even though resume guest state on reboot is set it does not work. Why does
nova compute ignore the lifecycle event from libvirt saying bring up the VM and
reconciles with database

How are you defining "graceful reboot"?

I am thinking that you may be defining it in a way that implies prior safe
shutdown of the guests including setting their state to "power off", in which
case restoring them to the prior state before reboot will correctly leave them
"power off". I believe this feature is only intended to work with a shutdown of
the hypervisor such as occurs when you "shutdown -r now" on the hypervisor
without first shutting down the guests.