TripleO currently uses the default "loopback" docker storage device.
This is not recommended for production (see 'docker info').

We've been poking around with docker storage backends in TripleO for
almost 2 months now here:

 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/451916/

For TripleO there are a couple of considerations:

 - we intend to support in place upgrades from baremetal to containers

 - when doing in place upgrades re-partitioning disks is hard, if not
impossible. This makes using devicemapper hard.

 - we'd like to to use a docker storage backend that is production
ready.

 - our target OS is latest Centos/RHEL 7

As we approach pike 2 I'm keen to move towards a more production docker
storage backend. Is there consensus that 'overlay2' is a reasonable
approach to this? Or is it too early to use that with the combinations
above?

Looking around at what is recommended in other projects it seems to be
a mix as well from devicemapper to btrfs.

[1] https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.3/install_config/in
stall/host_preparation.html#configuring-docker-storage
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/kolla/tree/tools/setup_RedH
at.sh#n30

Dan