On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since sorting instances across cells is the main issue, it was also
> suggested that we allow a config option to disable sorting in the API. It
> was stated this would be without a microversion, and filtering/paging would
> still be supported. I'm personally skeptical about how this could be
> consider inter-operable or discoverable for API users, and would need more
> thought and input from users like Monty Taylor and Clark Boylan.

Please please please make that config option discoverable, do not
propagate that silent config option pattern any more.  Please.

This is totally a microversion-required situation in my view as the
API will behave differently and clients will need to do the sorting
locally if that is what they require.  Doing it locally is (usually)
fine, but we need to know.

Now the question of how to actually do this?  If we had some
side-channel to return results metadata then this config change would
be discoverable after-the-fact, which in this case would be acceptable
as the condition checking happens after (at least some of) results are
returned anyway.

dt

--

Dean Troyer