On 05/19/2017 04:06 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriede...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm confused by this. Creating a server takes a volume ID if you're booting
from volume, and that's actually preferred (by nova devs) since then Nova
doesn't have to orchestrate the creation of the volume in the compute
service and then poll until it's available.

Same for ports - nova can create the port (default action) or get a port at
server creation time, which is required if you're doing trunk ports or
sr-iov / fancy pants ports.

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying is missing?

It turns out those are bad examples, they do accept IDs.

I was actually suggesting that maybe these commands in nova should *only* take IDs, and that nova itself should not set up either block storage or networking for you.

It seems non-intuitive to me that nova will do some basic stuff for you, but if you want something more complicated then you need to go do it a totally different way.

It seems to me that it'd be more logical if we always set up volumes/ports first, then passed the resulting UUIDs to nova. This could maybe be hidden from the end-user by doing it in the client or some intermediate layer, but arguably nova proper shouldn't be in the proxying business.

Lastly, the existence of a partial proxy means that people ask for a more complete proxy--for example, specifying the vnic_type (for a port) or volume type (for a volume) when booting an instance.

Chris