Hi,

On cinder node- we need to modify the cinder.conf. We don’t change any config
apart from this. We want to keep the config changes in heat template, package
installation in puppet, and trigger rest of the operations via Horizon (as it’s
done today). We are also trying to get rid of the nova.conf file changes. Once
the approach for cinder is sorted, will get back on this.

If this is correct approach for cinder, I will raise review requests for the
following projects:
puppet-tripleo: http://paste.openstack.org/show/611697/
puppet-cinder: http://paste.openstack.org/show/611698/
tripleo-heat-templates: http://paste.openstack.org/show/611700/

Also, I am not sure which TripleO repos need to be patched for the controller
components.

We have decomposed the controller bin installer into idempotent
modules/scripts. Now, the installer is not a black box operation:
https://github.com/abhishek-kane/puppet-veritas-hyperscale
The inline replies below are w.r.t. this project. The product installer bin
currently works in atomic fashion. One issue which we see in puppet is the
error handling and rollback operations.

Thanks,
Abhishek

On 6/1/17, 8:41 PM, "Emilien Macchi" <emil...@redhat.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Abhishek Kane <abhishek.k...@veritas.com>
wrote:
    > Hi Emilien,
    >
    > The bin does following things on controller:
    > 1. Install core HyperScale packages.

    Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.
Ak> It’s done.

    > 2. Start HyperScale API server

    Should be done by Puppet, with Service resource.
AK> It’s done.

    > 3. Install UI packages. This will add new files to and modify some
existing files of Horison.

    Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource and also some changes
    in puppet-horizon maybe if you need to change Horizon config.
Ak> We have got rid of the horizon dependency right now. Our GUI components get
installed via separate package.

    > 4. Create HyperScale user in mysql db. Create database and dump config.
Add permissions of nova and cinder DB to HyperScale user.

    We have puppet-openstacklib which already manages DBs, you could
    easily re-use it. Please look at puppet-nova for example to see how
    things works in nova::db::mysql, etc.
AK> TBD

    > 5. Add ceilometer pollsters for additional stats and modify ceilometer
files.

    puppet-ceilometer I guess. What do you mean by "files"? Config files?
Ak> We are trying to get rid of this dependency as well. TBD.

    > 6. Change OpenStack configuration:
    > a. Create rabbitmq exchanges

    puppet-* modules already does it.
AK> It’s done via script. Do we need to patch any module?

    > b. Create keystone user

    puppet-keystone already does it.
AK> It’s done via script. Do we need to patch keystone module?

    > c. Define new flavors

    puppet-nova can manage flavors.
AK> It’s done via script. Do we need to patch nova module?

    > d. Create HyperScale volume type and set default volume type to
HyperScale in cinder.conf.

    we already support multi backends in tripleo, HyperScale would just be
    a new addition. Re-use the bits please: puppet-cinder and
    puppet-tripleo will need to be patched.
AK> It’s done via script. Do we need to patch cinder module?

    > e. Restart openstack’s services

    Already done by openstack/puppet-* modules.
AK> We are trying to get rid of all OpenStack config file changes that we used
to do. TBD.

    > 7. Configure HyperScale services

    Should be done by your module, (you can either write a _config
    provider if it's ini standard otherwise just do a template that you
    ship in the module, like puppet-horizon).
AK> It’s done.

    > Once the controller is configured, we use HyperScale’s CLI to configure
data and compute nodes-

    > On data node (cinder):
    > 1. Install HyperScale data node packages.

    Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.

    > 2. Change cinder.conf to add backend and change rpc_backend.

    puppet-cinder

    > 3. Give the raw data disks and meta disks to HyperScale storage layer for
usage.

    what does it means? Do you run a CLI for that?

    > 4. Configure HyperScale services.

    Should be done by Puppet, with Service resource.

    > 5. Dump config in the HyperScale database.

    can be done by a script maybe?

    > On compute (nova):
    > 1. Install HyperScale compute packages.

    Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.

    > 2. Configure cgroup.

    we don't manage cgroups in TripleO AFIK yet but it's something we
    could add, maybe with a puppet module.

    > 3. Disable selinux.

    Please don't do that. Disabling SElinux is a NOGO when adding new
    features (sorry to care about Security).

    > 4. Add ceilometer pollsters for additional stats and modify ceilometer
files.

    puppet-ceilometer

    > 5. Modify qemu.conf to relax ACS checks.

    puppet-nova maybe, but not sure we really want to do that:
    https://vfio.blogspot.fr/2014/08/iommu-groups-inside-and-out.html

    Any details on why you're doing it?

    > 6. Modify libvirt.conf and libvirtd to allow live migration.

    It's already supported by puppet-nova.

    > 7. Change network settings.

    Should be done by os-net-config in TripleO.

    > 8. Configure HyperScale services.

    Done by your module (again).

    > 9. Dump config in the HyperScale database.

    same as before.

    > We assume that we will not require steps to install packages if we put
packages in the overcloud image. We have started to convert the bin and the CLI
into puppet modules.

    > Regards,
    > Abhishek

    Hope it helped.