A bunch more work landed this week, here is where we stand:

STATUS

oslo.context / oslo.middleware - DONE

devstack logging additional global_request_id - DONE

cinder: DONE
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- call Nova & Glance with global_request_id - DONE

neutron: BLOCKED
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- neutron calls Nova with global_request_id - BLOCKED (see below)

nova: DONE
- Convert to oslo.middleware (to accept global_request_id) - DONE
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- call Neutron / Cinder / Glance with global_request_id - DONE

glance: BLOCKED
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- Glance supports setting global_request_id - BLOCKED (see below)

ironic (NEW): in progress
- Ironic supports accepting global_request_id - IN REVIEW

BLOCKED ITEMS

Neutron:

There is a mailing list post out here
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118031.html.
The neutron code for interactions back to Nova is wildly different than
the patterns in other services, so I'm actually stumped on the right
path forward. Some questions are there. Any neutron experts that could
advise or help dive in would be appreciated.

Glance:

The review that would set the global_request_id in the context is
blocked - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468443/ over different
perspectives on API change here. There are only 2 of us in this review
so far, so it would be good to get more perspectives from folks as well.

STRETCH GOALS

Ironic:

My original intent was to get through Nova, Neutron, Glance, Cinder this
cycle. As that is nearly done, I thought that the next logical service
to loop in would be Ironic. There is an initial patch there to add the
global_request_id inbound - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472258/.
Ironic reviews to get that into shape for merge would be appreciated.

Comments / questions welcomed. As well as anyone that's interested in
expanding this support to additional services.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net