I think that making it so we can do redirect is good. The current blackhole approach is less than desirable.

Jay

On 7/27/2017 10:06 PM, ChangBo Guo wrote:
++ for the solution.

    Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2017-07-27 16:40:08 +0000:
    > On 2017-07-27 12:23:39 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
    > > In the #openstack-nova channel this morning we were debugging
    some cells
    > > v2 things, and ran into the fact that the online docs for this -
    > > https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/cells.html
    <https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/cells.html> go to a 404.
    That's a
    > > previously well known link, people have it in their browser
    history,
    > > bookmarks, wiki pages, other websites.
    > >
    > > My understanding of big moves like this is that redirects are
    important.
    > > Things going blackhole like that not only is an inconvenience
    to users,
    > > but impacts our search engine rankings, and takes a while for
    them to
    > > all sift out. I know in sites I run I'm still regularly getting in
    > > bounds to paths on the site that haven't been there for 8 years.
    > >
    > > It would be really good if we had a way (manual or automated)
    to have
    > > 301 redirects, that are fixable by the teams that now own the
    > > documentation (the project teams).
    >
    > We can look at including .htaccess files in the tree I guess? Or
    > some metadata the publish job uses to build them maybe?

    That's exactly what I was thinking.

    1. Enable .htaccess files by turning on allowoverride for
    docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org>.

    2. Add .htaccess files in each tree, as needed (see
    https://review.openstack.org/487932
    <https://review.openstack.org/487932> for an example of how this
       is done with sphinx).

    3. Update the main .htaccess file in openstack-manuals to redirect
       from the old location of docs in a way that passes the full path.
       Right now we redirect to /project/latest/:

          redirectmatch 301 "^/developer/([^/]+)/.*$" /$1/latest/

       I think that would change to look something like:

          redirectmatch 301 "^/developer/([^/]+)/(.*)$" /$1/latest/$2

       We would only want to do that for projects that actually have
       .htaccess files, so we can put a flag in the project-data files in
       openstack-manuals and generate project-specific redirect rules
    (we're
       already doing that for some other pages).

    Then when someone visits docs.o.o/developer/nova/cells.html it would
    redirect to docs.o.o/nova/latest/cells.html. The nova team then
    need to have a redirect from docs.o.o/nova/latest/cells.html to
    docs.o.o/nova/latest/user/cells.html.

    If folks think that's a good approach, I will start on the patches
    needed in infra and openstack-manuals (1 and 3).

    Doug

ChangBo Guo(gcb)