vin...@vn.fujitsu.com wrote:
Hello harlowja,

I'm really happy to see that you are back in this `tracing` topic [and
@boris-42 (too)].

We never left, haha, but ya, I can say (and probably boris would agree) that trying to get OSprofiler started and integrated somewhat 'burned' both of us (it involved a ton of convincing people of the value of it, when I had more hoped that the value of it was obvious). But I'm glad that people are starting to realize its value (even if they have to be told and educated by google or other companies that have been doing this for a long time).

Last week, we saw that Rajul proposed 02 new blueprint in OSprofiler [1] and
[2].
Besides, some other blueprints are being implemented in OSprofiler
such as overhead control [3] and OpenTracing compatible [4] [5]
(Uber Jaeger [6] is one of OpenTracing compatible tracer out there).

For OpenTracing part, I have a PoC to make OSprofiler compatible with
OpenTracing specification at [5]. You can take a look at it this time too.
However, this time, I focus on reporting span/trace to other destinations
(rather than current drivers for OSprofiler[7]).

OpenTracing API is changing a little bit fast for now, therefore, some APIs
will be deprecated soon.
I had some discussions with OpenTracing community about some trouble when
making OSprofiler
compatible with OpenTracing API.

Ya I expected this, opentracing also I think has a python client/wrapper(?), have you looked at what this offers (last time I checked most of opentracing was just a bunch of wrappers actually, and not much actually code that did anything unique)?

For OpenStack part, last cycle, Performance team and other OpenStack developers
added
OSprofiler support for many other projects (Nova, Magnum, Ironic, Zun ...)
and Panko, Aodh, Swift are on the way.

Yippe, now the bigger questions is where are all the UIs visualizing the traces (I know boris had https://boris-42.github.io/ngk.html but there has to be something nicer that perhaps the OpenTracing community has for a UI, ideally not a java monster like Zipkin, ha). Any thoughts there?

At last, hope you will join us (again) in OpenStack `tracing` things.

We shall see :-P

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/osprofiler/+spec/asynchronous-trace-collection
[2]