On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Kevin L. Mitchell <klmi...@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 16:45 -0400, Kristi Nikolla wrote:
>> Is this the case even if we haven’t made any final release with the change
>> that introduced this issue? [0]
>>
>> It was only included in the Pike milestones and betas so far, and was not
>> part of the Ocata release.
>
> Maybe not, but please do recall that there are many deployers out there
> that track master, not fixed releases, so we need to take that level of
> compatibility into account.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that we should not assume that
if code merges ever it is a contract because someone might be
following master. The contract should be for releases. We should do
everything we can to avoid breaking people, but in the case of an API
contract (behavior) that was never part of a final release, it should
be understood this may change if needed until it is released.

This is just my $0.002 as this leads rapidly to "why bother having
real releases" if everything is a contract, let someone take a
snapshot where they're happy with the code to run. You're devaluing
the actual releases.