From: pranab boruah [mailto:pranabjyotibor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:36 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: [openstack-dev] [os-vif] [vif_plug_ovs] Queries on VIF_Type
VIFHostDevice

Hi,
I am experimenting with the os-vif library and stumbled upon this new VIF type
called VIFHostDevice. I have few general queries. TIA.

1. How do I create ports with VIF_type as VIFHostDevice? Looking for the CLI
command options.

2. Say, I have OVS running completely on x86 host(no datapath or flow offload to
 NIC) as the networking mechanism and a SRIOV capable NIC(for existence of VF
representors that will be added to the OVS bridge). Can I still launch
instances with VIF_type as VIFHostDevice?

3. I want to use Security Groups using OVS+Conntrack as the mechanism.
Can I apply SG rules on the ports of type VIFHostDevice using the above
mechanism?

PS: I am still trying to understand this. Hence, I might get my premises wrong
in the above questions. Will appreciate a detailed explanation.

Regards,
Pranab