On 08/09/2017 05:49 AM, Rabi Mishra wrote:
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Smigielski, Radoslaw (Nokia - IE) <radoslaw.smigiel...@nokia.com <mailto:radoslaw.smigiel...@nokia.com>> wrote:

    Hi there!

        I have a question about heat "convergence_engine" option, it's
    present in heat config since quite a long time but still not enabled.

Well, convergence is enabled by default in heat since newton. However, Tripleo does not use it yet, as convergence engine memory usage is higher than that of legacy engine.

There has been number of optimizations in the last two cycles to improve that situation. However, AFAIK, when using a single node undercloud, memory usage would always be more with convergence.

I think there are plans for Tripleo to move to convergence in Queens as discussed in this ML thread.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118237.html

Yeah, my understanding is that we'll look at turning on convergence for the undercloud by default in Queens. It was just getting too late in a cycle of full of huge architectural changes to flip the switch in Pike.

If there's no indication of trouble from the experimental job we should definitely turn it on ASAP once Queens opens though.

    And I am wondering if anyone has tried enabled it and deploy
    overcloud? I did it myself and it seems to be working.

    The main reason why I am looking at this options are problems with
    scaling out, adding computes, replacing failed controllers on setups
    with 50+ computes and number of nested stack 1000+.

You've to probably scale out undercloud heat to get most of the benefits of convergence that comes with the distributed architecture.

    Is there any reason what holds Heat switch to convergence architecture?

Regards,
Rabi Misra