On 17-08-29 14:09:32, Claudiu Belu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many of you know, during Kilo, the neutron vendor decomposition happened,
> which lead to the birth of many networking-* libraries, including
> networking-hyperv. When it was time for us to make a release for that cycle,
> pretty much every networking-* project followed the release version number at
> that time, which was 2015.1.0. After Kilo, the versioning changed to the
> current format.
>
> networking-hyperv currently contains the "hyperv" mechanism_driver, which is
> needed in order to bind neutron ports to Hyper-V compute nodes using
> neutron-hyperv-agent L2 agents.
>
> Now, my main issue is that networking-hyperv==2015.1.0 is currently on Pypi,
> and whenever someone upgrades networking-hyperv through pip (pip install -U
> networking-hyperv), it "upgrades" to 2015.1.0. And even if it isn't already
> installed, networking-hyperv==2015.1.0 is installed, as that is considered
> the "latest" version:
>
> (test) ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ pip freeze | grep networking-hyperv
>
> (test) ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ pip install networking-hyperv
> (test) ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ pip freeze | grep networking-hyperv
> networking-hyperv==2015.1.0
>
> This is a common pitfall for people using pip to install / upgrade
> networking-hyperv. It's actually become a ritual for new developers to
> mistakenly install the "latest" version. :)
>
> Now, my question is: could we / should we unpublish the 2015.1.0 version?
>
> [1] Kolla using pip package "networking-hyperv>=5.0.0,<6.0.0"
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/498409/1
> [1] #openstack-release:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2017-08-29.log.html#t2017-08-29T08:19:28
> [2] #openstack-release:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2017-08-29.log.html#t2017-08-29T13:20:36
>

> Best regards,
>
> Claudiu Belu

I think we have three options here.

1. Unpublish.  This is probably the simplest, but generally goes against
the policy of pypi to never unpublish things (it is not a hard and fast
rule though).

2. Rename.  A bunch of work for downstreams but technically
cleaner/better than unpublishing, allows a more consistant naming scheme
to be used if desired at least.

3. reversion.  Start new versions at 3000 or something, kinda dirty imo.

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)