It turns out this wasn't _quite_ resolved yet. I was still seeing some excessively long stack creation times today and it turns out one of our compute nodes had virtualization turned off. This caused all of its instances to fail and need a retry. Once I disabled the compute service on it stacks seemed to be creating in a normal amount of time again.

This happened because the node had some hardware issues, and apparently the fix was to replace the system board so we got it back with everything set to default. I fixed this and re-enabled the node and all seems well again.