On 12/09/2013 01:37 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Clark Boylan <clark.boy...@gmail.com <mailto:clark.boy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM, David Kranz <dkr...@redhat.com
    <mailto:dkr...@redhat.com>> wrote:
    > It's great that tempest tests for ironic have been submitted! I was
    > reviewing https://review.openstack.org/#/c/48109/ and noticed
    that the tests
    > do not actually run. They are skipped because baremetal is not
    enabled. This
    > is not terribly surprising but we have had a policy in tempest
    to only merge
    > code that has demonstrated that it works. For services that
    cannot run in
    > the single-vm environment of the upstream gate we said there
    could be a
    > system running somewhere that would run them and report a result
    to gerrit.
    > Is there a plan for this, or to make an exception for ironic?
    >
    >  -David

    There is a change[0] to openstack-infra/config to add experimental
    tempest jobs to test ironic. I think that change is close to being
    ready, but I need to give it time for a proper review. Once in that
    will allow you to test 48109 (in theory, not sure if all the bits will
    just work). I don't think these tests fall under the cannot run in a
    single vm environment umbrella, we should be able to test the
    baremetal code via the pxe booting of VMs within the single VM
    environment.

    [0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53917/

    Clark

We can test the ironic services, database, and the driver interfaces by using our "fake" driver within a single devstack VM today (I'm not sure the exercises for all of this have been written yet, but it's practical to test it). OTOH, I don't believe we can test a PXE deploy within a single VM today, and need to resume discussions with infra about this.

There are some other aspects of Ironic (IPMI, SOL access, any vendor-specific drivers) which we'll need real hardware to test because they can't effectively be virtualized. TripleO should cover some (much?) of those needs, once they are able to switch to using Ironic instead of nova-baremetal.

-Devananda
So it seems that the code in the submitted tempest tests can run in a regular job if devstack is configured to enable ironic, but that this cannot be the default. So I propose that we create a regular devstack+ironic job that will run in the ironic and tempest gates, and run just the ironic tests. When third-party bare-metal results can be reported for ironic, tempest can then accept tests that require bare-metal. Does any one have a problem with this approach?

 -David