On 11/22/2017 12:51 AM, Shewale, Bhagyashri wrote:
Hi nova devs,

Just wanted to ask regarding request zero root disk for boot-from-volume instances patches [2] [3].

When user boot instance using bootable volume and flavor having non-zero disk_gb

then in that case it considers flavor disk_gb which is incorrect the calculation of host

disk space.

*_Request_:*

What are reconditions from the community to resolve the LP bug Reference: [1]?

Through multiple discussion on the patches there are two options to address this issue:

*_Option 1_:*

Merging of patches Reference: [2] and [3]

*_Option 2_:*

Operators will need to create new flavor with root_disk=0 for BFV

and ask users to use this new flavor if they want to boot the instance from volume.

(Release note may need to be updated in this case)

Could you please give opinion above two options.

Reference:

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1469179

[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428481

[3]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428505

Regards,

Bhagyashri Shewale

You might be interested in this spec I started in Queens:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511965/

It's based on some discussions we've had related to this issue since the Boston summit for Pike. It needs work but might be helpful.

Matt