I have two concerns.

1.) I'm hesitant to lose developer <---> operator communication more
than we already have. Outcomes and conversations from the PTGs are super
useful, but we don't exactly have rooms full of operators to bounce
ideas off of. We can summarize outcomes and socialize reports on mailing
lists, but the next real opportunity we have to collect feedback from
operators about things we talked about at the PTG is during the forum.
My worry is that having a single coordinated release a year is going to
prioritize travel to one summit, making that interaction happen even less.

2.) A lot of things we're working on in the baremetal/vm group involves
coordinating work between projects. We've used community goals to make
progress on improving the platform as a whole. Community goals also
require a ridiculous amount of communication and coordination, which is
a good thing. But if we expect the result of this decision to be more
bandwidth for completing community goals with one less PTG per year,
we'll be limiting the opportunity for face-to-face communication in
order to finish those goals.

I agree that in order to really know how this shakes out, you have to
try it. That said, I don't think you can just "try it for a year" and
analyze at that point to see how things worked. You might get feedback
from developers, but I'm not sure operators or user will be able to
provide feedback if they haven't consumed a release under the new model
yet. I'd want to make sure we get that perspective when we take a step
back and see how things worked.