On 12/13/2017 4:20 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
Is the "rush" at the end of the cycle still a thing those days ? From a
release management perspective it felt like the pressure was reduced in
recent cycles, with less and less FFEs. But that may be that PTLs have
gotten better at denying them, not that the pressure is reduced now that
we are past the hype peak...

Yes and no. Nova has tried different tricks in the past like a non-priority feature freeze at the 2nd milestone, then we just work on the priorities (agreed to at the design summit, when that was a thing) in the 3rd milestone. We stopped doing that in Ocata because it was a shorter cycle and because of other complications with that process, like we'd spend a lot of time in the first milestone doing spec reviews and design discussion, then rushing to get non-priority stuff done in the second milestone, and then we'd be burned out by the third milestone to actually focus on priorities - which is the opposite of what we should be doing.

I feel like there is still the normal pressure to please everyone in recent releases, that's never going to change, it's never going to be "done", but I do feel like we make steady progress and get enough non-priority things done at the same time.

I think we'll always have a kind of rush toward the end for the big complicated things we're working on, because of unexpected things that come up during implementation. That's part of the reason I think moving the release out won't help with that unless we can be super disciplined as a project about doing intermediate releases, even if we know people aren't picking them up, just so that we have a goal/deadline to work toward rather than say, "meh, we've got 9 months to crank this out, it can wait."

Matt