On 12/15/2017 04:49 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
Hi All,
     In review I01837a9daf6f119292b5a2ffc361506925423f11 I updated
ValidateInstackEnv to handle the case when then instackenv.json file
needs to represent a node that deosn't require a pm_user for IMPI to
work.

It turns out that I foudn that code path with grep rather than the
result of a deploy step failing.  That's becuase it's only used for a
command that isn't used anymore, and the validation logic has been moved
to a mistral action.

That lead me to look at which of the commands in that file aren't needed
anymore.  If my analysis is correct we have the collowing commands:

openstack baremetal instackenv validate:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ValidateInstackEnv
     NOT Deprecated

See below, it can be fixed. But I'd really prefer us to roll it into something like "openstack overcloud node import --validate-only".

openstack baremetal import:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ImportBaremetal
     DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
     New command: openstack overcloud node import
openstack baremetal introspection bulk start:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StartBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
     DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
     New command: openstack overcloud node introspect
openstack baremetal introspection bulk status:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StatusBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
     NOT Deprecated
openstack baremetal configure ready state:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureReadyState
     NOT Deprecated
openstack baremetal configure boot:
     tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureBaremetalBoot
     DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
     New command: openstack overcloud node configure

YES PLEASE to all of this. The "baremetal" part make users often confuse these commands with ironicclient commands.

So my questions are basically:
1) Can we remove the deprecated code?
2) Does leaving the not deprecated commands make sesne?
3) Should we deprecate the remaining commands?
3) Do I need to update ValidateInstackEnv or is it okay for it to be
    busted for my use case?

I'm sorry for not getting to it ever, but the fix should be quite simple. You need to drop all its code from tripleoclient and make it use this workflow instead: https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/master/workbooks/baremetal.yaml#L103. It is much newer, and is actually used in enrollment as well. If it is also broken for you - please fix it. But the code in tripleoclient is long rotten :)

Yours Tony.