Hi Moshe -

It seems a bit risky to automatically apply firmware updates.  For example,
given a node will probably be rebooted for firmware updates to take effect, if
other vendors also did this then perhaps the node could reboot unexpectedly in
the middle of your update.  In theory.

The approach we’ve taken on handling firmware updates[1] has been to create a
hardware manager for verifying firmware values during node cleaning and raising
an exception if they do not match.  The consequence is, nodes will drop into
maintenance mode for manual inspection / intervention.  We’ve then booted the
node into a custom image to perform the update.

Hope this helps,
Stig

[1] https://github.com/stackhpc/stackhpc-ipa-hardware-managers