On 3/4/18 10:29 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
The use case that I'm working on right now is the following:

  As an operator, I would like to upgrade my non-containerized undercloud running on Queens to a containerized undercloud running on Rocky.   Also, I would like to maintain the exact same command to upgrade my undercloud, which is: openstack undercloud upgrade (with --use-heat to containerize it).

The work has been tracked here:
https://trello.com/c/nFbky9Uk/5-upgrade-support-from-instack-undercloud

But here's an update and some open discussion before we continue to make progress.

## Workflow

This is what I've found the easiest to implement and maintain:

1) Update python-tripleoclient-* and tripleo-heat-templates.

Just a note that those need to be installed first, though you have this covered https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549624/7/tripleoclient/v1/undercloud.py@100

2) Run openstack overcloud container prepare.
3) Run openstack undercloud upgrade --use-heat, that underneath will: stop non-containerized services, upgrade all packages & dependencies and deploy a containerized undercloud.

As we have discussed and you noted for https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549609/ we're better off changing the workflow to run the upgrade_tasks so we avoid code duplication.

Note: the data isn't touched, so when the upgrade is done, the undercloud is just upgraded to Rocky, and containerized.

## Blockers encountered

1) Passwords were re-generated during the containerization, will be fixed by: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549600/ 2) Neutron DB name was different in instack-undercloud. DB will be renamed by https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549609/ 3) Upgrade logic will live in tripleoclient: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549624/ (note that it's small)

## Testing

I'm using https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549611/ for testing but I'm also deploying in my local environment. I've been upgrading Pike to Queens successfully, when applying my patches.

## Roadmap

I would like us to solve the containerized undercloud upgrade case by rocky-m1, and have by the end of m1 a CI job that actually test the operator workflow.

I'll need some feedback, reviews on the proposal & reviews.
Thanks in advance,
--
Emilien Macchi

Best regards,