On 4/9/2018 9:57 PM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
Could you please help to share whether this kind of event is sent by neutron-server or neutron agent ? I searched neutron code from [1][2] this means the agent itself need tell neutron server the device(VIF) is up then neutron server will send notification
to nova through REST API and in turn consumed by compute node?

[1]https://github.com/openstack/neutron/tree/master/neutron/notify_port_active_direct
[2]https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/plugins/ml2/rpc.py#L264

I believe the neutron agent is the one that is getting (or polling) the information from the underlying network backend when VIFs are plugged or unplugged from a host, then route that information via RPC to the neutron server which then sends an os-server-external-events request to the compute REST API, which then routes the event information down to the nova-compute host where the instance is currently running.

Matt