Thanks everyone for your input!

I wrote a small Python script [1] to present all your responses in an
understandable format. Here's the output:

Filters common to all deployments: {'ComputeFilter',
'ServerGroupAntiAffinityFilter'}

Filter counts (out of 9 deployments):
ServerGroupAntiAffinityFilter            9
ComputeFilter                            9
AvailabilityZoneFilter                   8
ServerGroupAffinityFilter                8
AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter        8
ImagePropertiesFilter                    8
RetryFilter                              7
ComputeCapabilitiesFilter                5
AggregateCoreFilter                      4
RamFilter                                4
PciPassthroughFilter                     3
AggregateRamFilter                       3
CoreFilter                               2
DiskFilter                               2
AggregateImagePropertiesIsolation        2
SameHostFilter                           2
AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation           1
NUMATopologyFilter                       1
AggregateDiskFilter                      1
DifferentHostFilter                      1

Based on that, we can definitely say that SameHostFilter and
DifferentHostFilter do *not* belong in the defaults. In fact, we got
our defaults pretty spot on, based on this admittedly very limited
dataset. The only frequently occurring filter that's not in our
defaults is AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter.

[1] https://gist.github.com/notartom/0819df7c3cb9d02315bfabe5630385c9

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Lingxian Kong <anlin.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At Catalyst Cloud:
>
> RetryFilter
> AvailabilityZoneFilter
> RamFilter
> ComputeFilter
> AggregateCoreFilter
> DiskFilter
> AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter
> ImagePropertiesFilter
> ServerGroupAntiAffinityFilter
> SameHostFilter
>
> Cheers,
> Lingxian Kong
>

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:04 AM Jim Rollenhagen <j...@jimrollenhagen.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Artom Lifshitz <alifs...@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A CI issue [1] caused by tempest thinking some filters are enabled
>>> when they're really not, and a proposed patch [2] to add
>>> (Same|Different)HostFilter to the default filters as a workaround, has
>>> led to a discussion about what filters should be enabled by default in
>>> nova.
>>>
>>> The default filters should make sense for a majority of real world
>>> deployments. Adding some filters to the defaults because CI needs them
>>> is faulty logic, because the needs of CI are different to the needs of
>>> operators/users, and the latter takes priority (though it's my
>>> understanding that a good chunk of operators run tempest on their
>>> clouds post-deployment as a way to validate that the cloud is working
>>> properly, so maybe CI's and users' needs aren't that different after
>>> all).
>>>
>>> To that end, we'd like to know what filters operators are enabling in
>>> their deployment. If you can, please reply to this email with your
>>> [filter_scheduler]/enabled_filters (or
>>> [DEFAULT]/scheduler_default_filters if you're using an older version)
>>> option from nova.conf. Any other comments are welcome as well :)
>>

>> At Oath:
>>
>> AggregateImagePropertiesIsolation
>> ComputeFilter
>> CoreFilter
>> DifferentHostFilter
>> SameHostFilter
>> ServerGroupAntiAffinityFilter
>> ServerGroupAffinityFilter
>> AvailabilityZoneFilter
>> AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter
>>
>> // jim

Artom Lifshitz
Software Engineer, OpenStack Compute DFG