This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

There is a patch to update the Python 3.5 goal for Kolla [1]. The
change adds a new deliverable to the old goal, and it isn't clear
whether we want to do that. TC members, please share your opinion
in the openstack-dev thread [2].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/557863
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130236.html

I expanded the discussion of dropping py27 support from the original
governance patch [3] by starting a mailing list thread to discuss
a more detailed deprecation process and timeline [4]. There will
also be a forum session covering this topic in Vancouver [5].

[3] https://review.openstack.org/561922
[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129866.html
[5]
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21741/python-2-deprecation-timeline

John Garbutt started drafting a first constellation to describe
scientific computing workload use cases [6]. After some discussion
on that patch and in IRC, I proposed that we create a separate
repository to hold the constellation documents [7]. That repo now
exists, with the documentation team and TC as members of the core
review team.  There is a proposal to add it to the documentation
team's repo list [8].

* We could use volunteers to help finish making that repository
  ready to publish properly and to document the constellations
  sub-team in the documentation contributor's guide. Please contact
  me directly if you can help.

[6] https://review.openstack.org/565466
[7] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130068.html
[8] https://review.openstack.org/565877

The change to retire the kolla-kubernetes project has reached a
majority and will be approved on 10 May [9].

[9] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565385/

The Adjutant project application [10] is still under review, and
the only votes registered are opposed. I anticipate having the topic
of how we review project applications as one of several items we
discuss during the TC retrospective session as the summit [11].

[10] https://review.openstack.org/553643
[11]
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21740/tc-retrospective

After a bit of discussion in IRC with Lance Bragstad and Harry
Rybacki, we agreed to try having the Keystone team manage the
implementation of a new spec for defining default roles across all
OpenStack services, rather than trying to review the openstack-specs
repository and review process. See [12] for details.

[12] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130207.html

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

I have added the two items raised by TC members raised to the draft
agenda for the joint Board/TC/UC meeting to be held in Vancouver
(see the wiki page [13] under "Strategic Discussions" and "Next
steps for fixing bylaws typo"). Please keep in mind that the time
allocations and content of the meeting are still subject to change.

[13] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/20May2018BoardMeeting

We will also hold a retrospective for the TC as a team on Monday
at the Forum.  Please be prepared to discuss things you think are
going well, things you think we need to change, items from our
backlog that you would like to work on, etc. [11]

I need to revise the patch to update the expectations for goal
champions based on existing feedback. [14]

[14] https://review.openstack.org/564060

We have several items on our backlog that need owners. TC members,
please review the storyboard list [15] and consider taking on one
of the tasks that we agreed we would do.

[15] https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.