On Thu, 10 May 2018 11:48:31 -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
We already store values in this field that are not 8-4-4-4-12, and the
oslo field warning is just a warning. If people feel like we need to do
something, I propose we just do this:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/567669/

It is one of those "we normally wouldn't do this with object schemas,
but we know this is okay" sort of situations.

I'm in favor of this "solution" because, as you mentioned earlier, project_id/user_id aren't supposed to be restricted to UUID-only or 36 characters anyway -- they come from the identity service and could be any string. We've been good about keeping with String(255) in the database schema for project_id/user_id originating from the identity service.

And, I noticed Instance.project_id is a StringField too [1]. Really, IMHO we should be consistent with this field type among the various objects for project_id/user_id.

Best,
-melanie

[1] https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/e35e8d7/nova/objects/instance.py#L121