On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 07:04:53PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/08/2018 06:22 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> >> Glance - Has issues with image upload + uwsgi + eventlet [1]
> >
> > This actually is a bit misleading. Glance works fine with image upload and
> > uwsgi.
> > That's the only configuration of glance in a wsgi app that works because
> > of chunked transfer encoding not being in the WSGI protocol. [2] uwsgi
> > provides
> > an alternate interface to read chunked requests which enables this to work.
> > If you look at the bugs linked off that release note about image upload
> > you'll see they're all fixed.
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> I'm quite happy to read the above. Just to make sure...
>
> Can you confirm that Glance + Python 3 + uwsgi with SSL will work using
> the below setup?

So glance with uwsgi, python3, and ssl works fine. (with the caveats I
mentioned below) We test that on every commit in the integrated gate
today in the tempest-full-py3 job. It's been that way for almost a year
at this point.

> using:
> - RBD backend
> - swift backend
> - swift+rgw

As for the backend store choice I don't have any personal experience using
either of these 3 as a backend store. That being said your choice of store
should be independent from the getting glance-api deployed behind uwsgi
and a webserver.

Although, you might have trouble with swift on py3, because IIRC that still
isn't working. (unless something changed recently) But, the store config is
really independent from getting the api to receive and handle api requests
properly.

> If so, then I'll probably end up pushing for such uwsgi setup.
>
> If I understand you correctly, it wont work with Apache mod_wsgi,
> because of these chcked transfer encoding, which is what made if fail
> when I tried using the RBD backend. Right?

This is correct, you can not use glance and mod_wsgi together because
it will not handle requests with chunked transfer encoding by default.
So it will fail on any image upload request made to glance that uses
chunked transfer encoding.

> > The issues glance has with running in a wsgi app are related to it's
> > use of async tasks via taskflow. (which includes the tasks api and
> > image import stuff) This shouldn't be hard to fix, and I've had
> > patches up to address these for months:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531498/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549743/
>
> Do I need to backport these patches to Queens to run Glance the way I
> described? Will it also fix running Glance with mod_wsgi?

These patches are independent of getting things working for you. They
are only required for 2 API features in glance to work. The tasks api and
the image import api (which was added in queens). You don't need either
to upload images by default, and the patches will only ever be necessary
if you have something using those APIs (which personally I've never
encountered in the wild). There is also no test coverage in tempest or
any external test suite using these apis that I'm aware of so your CI
likely won't even be blocked by this. (which is how this situation
arose in the first place)

-Matt Treinish