On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 10:33 +0200, Cédric Jeanneret wrote:

> On 05/17/2018 10:18 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:

> > > Yes, last time this was discussed, there was lazy consensus that
> > > adding "a Castellan-compatible secret store" would be a good
> > > addition
> > > to the base services list if we wanted to avoid proliferation of
> > > half-baked keystore implementations in various components.
> > >
> > > The two blockers were:
> > >
> > > 1/ castellan had to be made less Barbican-specific, offer at
> > > least one
> > > other secrets store (Vault), and move under Oslo (done)
> >
> > Back to the subject and tripleo underclouds running Barbican, using
> > vault as a backend may be a good option, given that openshift
> > supports
> > [0] it as well for storing k8s secrets, and kubespray does [1] for
> > vanilla k8s deployments, and that we have openshift/k8s-based
> > control
> > plane for openstack on the integration roadmap. So we'll highly
> > likely
> > end up running Barbican/Vault on undercloud anyway.
> >
> > [0]
> > https://blog.openshift.com/managing-secrets-openshift-vault-integra
> > tion/
> > [1]
> > https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/kubespray/blob/master/docs/
> > vault.md
> >

> That just sounds lovely, especially since this allows to converge
> "secure storage" tech between projects.
> On my own, I was considering some secure storage (custodia) in the
> context of the public TLS certificate storage/update/provisioning.
> Having by default a native way to store secrets used by the overcloud
> deploy/life is a really good thing, and will prevent leaks, having
> ardcoded passwords in files and so on (although, yeah, you'll need
> something to access barbican ;)).

I think that for consistency sake, we will want to use a Castellan-
compatible back-end in the undercloud, rather than something more
custom like a LUKS encrypted partition or similar.

Right now, that means either castellan -> vault or castellan->
barbican.  In the future, it could also mean castellan-> custodia.

If you do use Barbican, you could still use vault as a backend to
Barbican.  ie. castellan -> barbican -> vault.