CERN use these puppet modules too and contributes any missing functionality we
need upstream.

Tim

From: Alex Schultz <aschu...@redhat.com>
Date: Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 16:24
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [tripleo][puppet] Hello all, puppet modules

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Remo Mattei <r...@rm.ht<mailto:r...@rm.ht>>
wrote:
Hello all,
I have talked to several people about this and I would love to get this
finalized once and for all. I have checked the OpenStack puppet modules which
are mostly developed by the Red Hat team, as of right now, TripleO is using a
combo of Ansible and puppet to deploy but in the next couple of releases, the
plan is to move away from the puppet option.

So the OpenStack puppet modules are maintained by others other than Red Hat,
however we have been a major contributor since TripleO has relied on them for
some time.  That being said, as TripleO has migrated to containers built with
Kolla, we've adapted our deployment mechanism to include Ansible and we really
only use puppet for configuration generation.  Our goal for TripleO is to
eventually be fully containerized which isn't something the puppet modules
support today and I'm not sure is on the road map.

So consequently, what will be the plan of TripleO and the puppet modules?

As TripleO moves forward, we may continue to support deployments via puppet
modules but the amount of testing that we'll be including upstream will mostly
exercise external Ansible integrations (example, ceph-ansible,
openshift-ansible, etc) and Kolla containers.  As of Queens, most of the
services deployed via TripleO are deployed via containers and not on baremetal
via puppet. We no longer support deploying OpenStack services on baremetal via
the puppet modules and will likely be removing this support in the code in
Stein.  The end goal will likely be moving away from puppet modules within
TripleO if we can solve the backwards compatibility and configuration
generation via other mechanism.  We will likely recommend leveraging external
Ansible role calls rather than including puppet modules and using those to
deploy services that are not inherently supported by TripleO.  I can't really
give a time frame as we are still working out the details, but it is likely
that over the next several cycles we'll see a reduction in the dependence of
puppet in TripleO and an increase in leveraging available Ansible roles.

From the Puppet OpenStack standpoint, others are stepping up to continue to
ensure the modules are available and I know I'll keep an eye on them for as
long as TripleO leverages some of the functionality.  The Puppet OpenStack
modules are very stable but I'm not sure without additional community folks
stepping up that there will be support for newer functionality being added by
the various OpenStack projects.  I'm sure others can chime in here on their
usage/plans for the Puppet OpenStack modules.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
-Alex

Thanks