On 07/20/2018 01:18 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
On 7/20/18 2:13 AM, Ben Nemec wrote:

On 07/19/2018 03:37 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
Today I played a little bit with Standalone deployment [1] to deploy a single OpenStack cloud without the need of an undercloud and overcloud.
The use-case I am testing is the following:
"As an operator, I want to deploy a single node OpenStack, that I can extend with remote compute nodes on the edge when needed."

We still have a bunch of things to figure out so it works out of the box, but so far I was able to build something that worked, and I found useful to share it early to gather some feedback:
https://gitlab.com/emacchi/tripleo-standalone-edge

Keep in mind this is a proof of concept, based on upstream documentation and re-using 100% what is in TripleO today. The only thing I'm doing is to change the environment and the roles for the remote compute node. I plan to work on cleaning the manual steps that I had to do to make it working, like hardcoding some hiera parameters and figure out how to override ServiceNetmap.

Anyway, feel free to test / ask questions / provide feedback.

What is the benefit of doing this over just using deployed server to install a remote server from the central management system?  You need to have connectivity back to the central location anyway.  Won't this become unwieldy with a large number of edge nodes?  I thought we told people not to use Packstack for multi-node deployments for exactly that reason.

I guess my concern is that eliminating the undercloud makes sense for single-node PoC's and development work, but for what sounds like a production workload I feel like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.  In the interest of saving one VM's worth of resources, now all of your day 2 operations have no built-in orchestration.  Every time you want to change a configuration it's "copy new script to system, ssh to system, run script, repeat for all systems.  So maybe this is a backdoor way to make Ansible our API? ;-)

Ansible may orchestrate that for day 2. Deploying Heat stacks is already made ephemeral for standalone/underclouds so only thing you'll need for day 2 is ansible really. Hence, the need of undercloud shrinks into having an ansible control node, like your laptop, to control all clouds via inventory.

So I guess the answer to my last question is yes. :-)

Are we planning to reimplement all of our API workflows in Ansible or are users expected to do that themselves?