Hi,

That's quite an old spec. :)

It has quite a bit of history, and the general nova core opinions were "No,
we're probably not going to do that" in the beginning, to "We should probably
add that, if people are asking for it" during the last OpenStack PTG. It even
had 2x +2s and ~11 +1s at one point.

I'll repropose the blueprint again for Stein and rebase everything, if people
want it. Implementation-wise, it's pretty much done, last time I was still
doing some functional and unit tests for it. I had a tempest test for it too. I
had some issues regarding notifications, but gibi helped me sort them out
(thanks!).

As far as functionality goes, I'm afraid that at the moment we're only going to
add live-resize to a larger flavor (live-upsizing). There are a few concerns
regarding live-downsizing, especially when it comes to the hypevisor support
for something like this (not all of them supports this). Additionally, when it
comes to live-downsizing the disk, AFAIK, there's also a data loss concern
associated with it, if the disk was not freed and / or if the partition table
wasn't shrunk beforehandm, etc. Additionally, some nova drivers don't support
downsizing the disks at all, not even cold resize.

There are a lot of discussions and debates on the spec you've linked, and you
can also read the arguments regarding the question you've asked too.

tl;dr version. During the last PTG, we've agreed to "approve" the blueprint
with only live-upsizing the instance in-place as the first iteration of the
feature, which any new additions to be discussed afterwards.

Best regards,

Claudiu Belu