On 08/20/2018 11:44 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:

If you want my personal opinion then I'm a big believer in incremental change.
So, despite recognising that it is born of long experience of which I have been
blissfully mostly unaware, I have to disagree with Chris's position that if
anybody lets you change something then you should try to change as much as
possible in case they don't let you try again. (In fact I'd go so far as to
suggest that those kinds of speculative changes are a contributing factor in
making people reluctant to allow anything to happen at all.) So I'd suggest
splitting the repo, trying things out for a while within Nova's governance, and
then re-evaluating. If there are that point specific problems that separate
governance would appear to address, then it's only a trivial governance patch
and a PTL election away. It should also be much easier to get consensus at that
point than it is at this distance where we're only speculating what things will
be like after the extraction.

I'd like to point out for the record that Mel already said this and said it
better and is AFAICT pretty much never wrong :)

In order to address the "velocity of change in placement" issues, how about making the main placement folks members of nova-core with the understanding that those powers would only be used in the new placement repo?

Chris